The Stepper MST-200 for positioning ultrasound probes is intended for holding an ultrasound probe, which is used to diagnose certain regions of people‘s bodies. The additional device described here can be used to move the probe with 2 degrees of freedom, longitudinal and planar, by means of the scaled rotary knobs.
The position of the probe is indicated on the scales of the two rotary knobs and is also recorded by an electrical measuring device and is prepared for transfer to a PC. The position of the probe can be recorded and documented using a computer. The definition of the coordinate system and determination of the scaling with regard to the regions of the body to be observed lie outside the properties of the stepper. The scales are solely used for visual orientation of the positions.
The template holder can be mounted into the two guide holes provided for this purpose on the stepper and fixed using the clamping screws provided. Different auxiliary equipement for various tasks can be attached to its mounting head.A screw fixing is provided for adapting the stepper to a treatment table.The version of the equipment described here my only be used for this purpose. The equipment is therefore only intended for the positioning of ultrasound probes and for holding additional equipment, not described in any further detail here.
Description of the systems
Function and operation of the system is based on its intended use.
- 2-axes movement mechanism:
- The stepper can be used for recording 3D ultrasound data. For its intended use, the ultrasound probe can be moved in 2 axes, i. e. it cannot only be moved longitudinally but is also rotatable. There are two rotary knobs, which can be used to set the required position. On the rotary knobs there is a braking knob, which can be used for locking (see Fig. 2)
- The ultrasound probe holder is designed so that the sound field can be adjusted symmetrically with the sagittal axis.
- The base of the stepper is designed so that it can be fixed onto existing equipment by means of a screw connection.
Electronic measuring equipment:
- The electronic measuring equipment (measuring electronics) records the positions by means of an incremental encoder, represents them on a display and prepares them for transfer to a computer. The electronic measuring equipment of the stepper is connected to the incremental encoder by a connection cable; if the data is recorded by a computer the measuring equipment is connected to the computer by an additional cable.
- The template holder is used to hold auxiliary equipment and consists of a holder attached to two sliding bars. The device is connected to the stepper via these two axes and can be moved (see Fig. 3)